The Dominican Sisters have been involved in Deaf Education since 1884 in King Williams Town. In 1933 Mr JH Hofmeyr, the Minister of Education, asked the Dominican Sisters to provide education for deaf children in Johannesburg . A property was bought in Melrose , and St Vincent School opened on 23 January 1934 with 38 pupils and 5 teachers. With the help of government, benefactors and parents, the school expanded. The pupils came from all over the then Transvaal, and others from as far as East London, Durban and the former Rhodesia , now Zimbabwe . St Vincent School was for many years the only school for deaf learners teaching through the medium of English and using the oral method.
This Ad has been viewed 103 times.